Thursday, September 28, 2006

From the front line

Not a good day for the forces of the Adeptus Astartes, especially the Dark Angels.

Following last week's game, the roster looked slightly different. The Commander was replaced with a cheaper Chaplain, who was attached to the assault squad. I also took a 10-marine Tactical squad (all armed with bolters) and a Devastator squad (2 missile launchers for anti-troop/light armour and a Lascannon for anti-vehicle work, plus 7 marines for short range fire power). The Deathwing from last week were replaced by a Predator tank (Autocannon turret and two Lascannon sponsons) and a rhino for the tactical squad. The Dreadnought and Landspeeder were retained.

This force seemed to be a little better balanced, with plenty of shooty troops supporting reasonable fast attack units. I nearly went for an all-shooty army with no assault at all, but relented.

When I saw my opponent, I wished I had.

The tyranids are a race I have only faced once, but did remarkably well against. It's not often you can take 'nids down in hand-to-hand, but I have managed it - it gave my opponent of the time a new respect for the Dark Angels - see my campaign info on the website for more. But I digress.

I'm not sure how "normal" the force I faced was. A couple of Carnifexes, a squad of four things with guns (I don't know what they were) and three units of Genestealers.

The one lesson to remember is "Do not get into combat with 'stealers". Stay in cover. Keep your heads down. And keep on firing.

The Landspeeder was well worth it’s points. It single handedly wiped out one unit of stealers, and also finished off one Carnifex. My Devastator’s did not do so well, having trouble being able to hit anything. Mind you, I was distracted by someone’s cry of “those marines are illegal – that’s not a Space Marine!”. He was referring to one of my ‘beaky’ marines (in Mark VI armour from the original Space Marine boxed set from the early 90s!. Young ‘uns these days!
The model was older than he was…

Taking multiple vehicles worked well. Incoming fire was spread around more, and I didn’t lose any to shooting. Hand to hand combat against the vehicles was nasty. Not only did I eventually lose the Predator, Rhino and Dreadnought to ‘stealers, but the tanks both exploded, killing the units attacking them! Revenge is sweet!

With only the Land Speeder and the Tactical squad left against a Carnifex, a few stealers and the squad of Tyranid warriors (?) I decided to concede and let someone else have a go.

A good game, even though.

I think the army list wasn’t too badly organised. Perhaps a couple of Marines fewer in the Devastators, and a couple more Assault troops.

I’ll soon be ready with this, as the close combat bits and extra Lascannon are on order from Battlewagon Bits and should be here soon.

Well, here's the roster used:

HQ

Master of Sanctity (136 points)
Croziuz Arcanum (Power weapon)
Rosarius (4+ invulnerable save)
Bolt pistol
Jump pack

Elites

Dreadnought "Old Faithful" (135 points)
Twin linked Lascannon
Missile launcher

Troops

Tactical Squad Caecilius (200)
Sergeant Caecilius - Bolter (not power sword)
9 marines - Bolter
Rhino transport

Devastator Squad Sheriden (185 points)
Sergeant Sheriden - Bolter
1 Marine - Lascannon
1 Marine - Missile launcher
1 Marine - Missile launcher
6 Marines - Bolter

Fast Attack

Assault Squad Morden (120 points)
Sergeant Morden - Plasma pistol, chain sword, Krak grenades 120
4 Marines - Bolt pistols, chain swords, krak grenades

Landspeeder (80 points)
Assault cannon, Heavy Bolter

Heavy Support

Predator (138 points)
Autocannon (turret mounted)
2 Lascannon (one in each side sponson)
Pintle-mounted storm bolter

And, finally, some photos (Click for a larger version):

The 1,000 point army as described above.

Photo of army

Old Faithful

Photo of Dreadnought

Ravenwing Land Speeder

Photo of Landspeeder

Predator

Photo of Predator

No comments:

Post a Comment