Sunday, December 10, 2006

The songs of Christmas

The Christmas number one not withstanding, Christmas songs are the way that I get into the spirit of things this time of year. I'm one of those sad people who don't mind the constant plinkyplunky music being played in stores (although I don't like it before December...)

I think this comes partly from working in a shop that sold cards, gifts and gift wrap. Christmas was our time of year, and when most of the year's money came from. As soon as October began we would completely revamp the store, replacing the usual tat with Christmas...um...tat. Trees, decorations, those foil chains and hanging shapes, cards, gift wrap and the like.

And from November, we would have the Christmas CDs playing. When you work all day Saturday and Sunday you tend to pick up the lyrics. Now, this was an improvement from the Chris De Burgh CD that the manager usually played (to this day, I am word perfect to waaaay too many of his songs...)

In addition to the ones playing on these CDs, there are others that, too me, are just apart of Christmas.

Years ago, we had two Christmas records (for the younger readers, that's what we had before cassettes. If you are too young to know what a cassette is, ask someone over 30) One of these was a collection of carols, which my brother and I have generally disliked.

The second one rocked. It had Mickey et al goofing around with the songs instead. Much better when you are ten.

This was the music we would put on Christmas morning to open the presents to before breakfast.

Anyway, here are some of the songs I like. And am not ashamed to say it. (Oh, and when I say "by" I mean "sung by" and maybe not "written by").

The 12 days of Christmas by the Spinners. This version is so very very funny, with various ad libs going on ("What's a calling bird?") plus one very odd-sounding goose a-laying. One Christmas Eve at the store, the 12 of us on the tills managed to get most of the store singing along to it.

You make it feel like Christmas by Neil Diamond.

The Marvellous Toy by John Denver

Walking in the Air by Aled Jones. The Snowman just *is* Christmas.

Fairytale of New York by The Pogues and Kirsty McCall.

Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy Bing Crosby and David Bowie. Such a bizarre duet, and yet...it works.

A Spaceman came travelling by Chris De Burgh. Some would argue that this song is a crime against humanity, but I like it.

The Power of Love by Frankie Goes to Hollywood. Not necessarily Christmassy, but one of my all time favourites.

Merry Christmas Everyone by Slade and I wish it could be Christmas every day by Wizzard. Again, Christmas isn't Christmas without these.

Driving Home For Christmas by Chris Rea. This always seems to get played whilst I am driving home for Christmas.

Rocking Round the Christmas Tree Mel and Kim, plus the Radio 1 lot. Very funny.

Do they know it's Christmas by ....everyone. Not the God-awful remake they did last year or whenever it was. This was the first single I ever bought. Well, I was too little to buy it myself - Mum or Dad bought it.

There are of course a few more, but I think I've embarrassed myself enough.

They just don't make 'em like this any more. (apart from The Darkness' one from a couple of years back)

1 comment:

  1. "The Marvellous Toy by John Denver"
    I still have no idea what that song is...

    ReplyDelete