Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Not what I intended

Well, that could have gone better.

GW are running a league through January, and despite not being around for a couple of weeks, it's still feasible to do well in it given the way the points are being given out.

So I figured a couple of games tonight, one against an 'easy' opponent which I should win, and one against a higher-ranked player which I would lose, but gain some points (bonus points for playing people in ranks above, see?)

Anyway, the first game of Search and Destroy ended up in no decisive win, with me having only the Chaplain and part of the Assault Squad left, against a squad of scouts and one marine. So it went to the points count...which was a dead heat - 236 points each. Highly unlikely in the best of circumstances, but okay. So only two points for the draw, one for a painted army, but none for a tier difference. Phooey.

I found another opponent, who was one tier above me. Anyway, I've played him before and won, so it should have been an easy game. Oops.

Everything was going okay until turn three, when my assault squad was preparing to charge his Grey Hunters pack (yep, I was playing against the Space Pups). On the other flank a squad of Bloodclaws had been caught out in the open when they failed to make a charge against my Tactical squad. This left them in front of not only the Tac squad, but also the combined fire power of the Predator and the Dreadnought - more than enough to take them to pieces.

We got caught up trying to work out the effect of "Counter Attack" on the chaplain's "Litanies of Hate". With no-one able to decide for sure, we agreed that I would still get the re-rolls as I was technically still charging (and we would discuss it later when we had more time). We then resolved the combat, which didn't go too well for me.

The problem was that I had managed to miss my entire shooting phase.

Yep.

Which allowed the Bloodclaws to charge the Tac squad, with predictable results.

The only saving grace was that the staff wanted to close the store, so ruled that the two army commanders would decide the game in single gladitorail close combat - mano e mano.

Alas, I lost (although it was a close run thing.

So another 2 points (1 for the tier difference and 1 for a painted army).

Ah well, maybe next time.


In other news, I've added a second Assault Cannon to my first Terminator squad, and was hoping to field them with a Librarian in a 1500 point game tonight. Unfortunately, no one had enough points to go against them, so they'll have to wait until next week.

I'm toying with the idea of having the Termies led by a Chaplain (which I don't have a model of) instead of the Librarian (which I do). The Chaplain gives better close combat bonuses if the squad charges, but the Librarian has better ranged attacks through the Psychic powers, and from what I saw tonight is pretty potent in close combat. I think I'll field the Librarian first and see how they fair.

1 comment:

  1. Heheh - I love how the glorious battle is brought to an untimely close by the staff wanting to go home.

    ReplyDelete