Sunday, July 19, 2015

Ansignan Aquaduct

I know I don't often post about things I find whilst out with Beaky but this find was so unexpected, and so cool, that I wanted to make sure I captured it properly.

One of the best random finds yesterday coming home was a Roman aqueduct. I was coming down over the hill through the village of Ansignan and passed a sign to "Roman Aqueduct" at about the same time as I realised I was looking at it down over the hill.


This needed a closer look so I turned around and followed the signs to the little parking area nearby, passing the aqueduct as I did.



I parked Beaky, and wandered over for a closer look, realising as I did so that I could hear running water.  Yes...it actually has water crossing it!






I walked down alongside the aqueduct toward the river it crosses, and saw the archways through the structure.




  Not only does it carry water over the river, but it also includes a foot bridge!



Yes, that’s right - *under* the aqueduct part, you can walk into one of the arches and the structure is ‘hollow’. Turn to follow the aqueduct and you can walk under it, and over an integral bridge across the river.




Amazing design, and not only still standing but still in active day-to-day use: it’s on a cycle path and the bicycles can cross on it (not sure I would have risked taking Beaky through…)

No comments:

Post a Comment