Sunday, April 27, 2014

Beaky's Bitz - Part 2 - Crash helmets

Not so much Beaky's bitz, but mine.

I've only had two crash helmets since I learnt to ride motorcycles, and haven't had cause to test them out in a crash (yet!).

These are Shoei XR-1000 (right) and the Nolan N104 (left)


Shoei XR-1000

This was bought before I even had a bike, and was chosen mostly for the colour and the fact it was a Shoei and in a sale. Having said that, it's been a good helmet for nearly three years of riding in all conditions (40 degree heat through heavy rain, hail to snow).

It's comfortable, and pretty quiet.  Also took the adhesive Drift camera mount without problem. Ventilation isn't too bad, and it has the attachment for pinlock visors (useful, but not if you also wear glasses, as those still fog up!)

The D-lock strap is easy once you get the knack of it.

Whilst the chin padding is removable, the rest of the padding isn't. This can get quite manky after a French summer of riding in 35+ degrees...

One benefit of this helmet over the Nolan that I did not appreciate fully was that it would fit into the pannier on the GS - useful when shopping.  The alternative that I also use is a cycle lock on the back to go through the chin guard and the pannier frame.

Nolan N104

After wearing the Shoei for a few years, I decided I wanted something more suited to the touring I was doing.  I decided the flip front would be useful in hotter weather, plus this also has an integral pop-down sun visor (so no more switching prescription sunglasses back and forth). Finally, the padding is all removable (and washable!) and there are the pinlock studs for the visor inserts.

I've been wearing this helmet for about six months, and it is a little noisier than the Shoei (but not much), and the only other downside I've found is that there is nowhere to mount the Drift camera - but this would be true for most flip-face helmets.

This helmet uses a clip on the strap in place of the D-rings.  Whilst this is okay, it makes for a larger strap which in some reviews can be uncomfortable - for me it is more noticeable with a high-neck jacket (e.g. Klim Overland) as it can sometimes catch as you turn your head. Not a problem, but something to be aware of.

One final note - you can't see them in the photo, but both have the obligatory reflective stickers for use in France.  When I bought the Shoei in the UK, the stickers were supplied and promptly binned; I then had to source some via the internet on moving here.  The Nolan (bought in France) had them included.

As mentioned above, this helmet doesn't fit into the GS pannier.  Whilst I should have checked this before buying, it would not have been a show-stopper to buy the helmet, as I already have an alternative in place that works just as well for this .


No comments:

Post a Comment