Sunday, April 27, 2014

Beaky's Bitz - Part 3 - Tank Bags

Next in the series...tank bags.

Love 'em or hate 'em, I'm in the former group on this.  Partly because the common criticism that you have to move it to refuel isn't an issue on the GS :)  I like having the camera handy so I don't have to get off the bike when I want to take a photo, plus when on longer trips I can't always get into the panniers, so the tank bag give me somewhere to put everything I need quickly.

Not easy to get things from the panniers with luggage...

I first added an Oxford bag to the CBF125 which allowed me to carry a few more bits and pieces on day trips. No photo of that one, and attaching it needed a little lateral thinking as the plastic side fairings meant the magnetic mount was of limited use.

For the G650GS I had the Touratech bag designed for the bike.  This lasted well, and put up with some fairly bad Welsh weather...

G650GS with tank bag

When I picked up the F800, one of the first additions was a tank bag (the G650GS one didn't fit). Again, I went with the Touratech option.

F800GS with tank bag

The main compartment is huge - plenty of room for all the odd bits I want to have to hand, or don't want to leave with the bike.  A zipper allows the bag to be expanded if more space is needed, and there is velcro map poacket on the top that will take A4 sheets. The side pocket has a plastic buckle rather than a zip, and seems designed for a phone.  The other side has an elastic mesh thing that holds your gloves (useful at the toll booth...) and a zippered pocket is useful for small stuff like earplugs or keys.

This has worked well, but my jacket velcro was wearing away the fabric around the zip, to the point where opening the bag was a problem, and I needed a replacement (obviously after I replaced the jacket...)

The attachments for the bag stay on the bike: there are two straps that hook on at the front near the head stock.  These clip to the plastic quick-release buckles (one seen in the photo below).  The back of the bag locates on a velcro pad that is fixed under the seat.  In addition, for heavy loads there are two side straps that attach to the frame on either side of the bike.  These I don't think I have ever used, but I do carry them in one of the side pockets.

To replace this, I upgraded to the Exp Sport, also from Touratech. More expensive, but the two side pockets are zipped and so more useful, and there is still a useful elastic glove holder. This uses the same attachments as the older bag (literally, in my case, as I didn't swap them over).


I've added a couple of zip-pulls to the main section (in photo) using paracord and zip cord ends from Bouncing Rabbit (a great place for all your elastic cord needs - more on this when I get around to the camping kit).  These make opening the bag a lot easier with clunky motorcycle gloves on.

So what on earth do I carry in this?

Stuff!

For a typical day trip this lot will be in the bag along with my wallet and passport.

Back row, left to right
Tank bag (really!);  (in plastic bag) micro and mini USB cables with BMW plug (to charge from the bike); rain cover

Middle row, left to right
Wet wipes (great for getting most flies off the visor!); tissues; silk gloves (for extra warmth); digital camera; puncture repair kit; 35mm film canisters, one with fuses* and one with spare ear plugs

Front row, left to right:
Drift HD camera, with batteries and cards; various RAM mounts for camera; cloth and cleaner for the rest of the bugs on the visor; multitool; Garmin 660 satnav on carry case (usually on a handlebar mount when in use).

Not shown in photo, in pockets inside lid of bag
Baby tripod for camera; pens and I always throw in the relevant Michelin orange map** into the map holder for the area I'm in.   This still leaves room for a baseball cap or other hat depending on the weather and a jumper if I am carrying luggage that makes the panniers hard to get into...

Ride safe.

*yes, I know the GS is fuse-less...this just kinda keeps ending up in the bag instead of the tool box and at least I can help out others.

** awesome maps.  500-series, Waterproof 1cm to 2km maps with 17 covering mainland France which show enough detail that I can work out where I am to supplement the satnav.

No comments:

Post a Comment