Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A Call to Arms

Well, this will be another entry title to avoid if you aren't interested in wargaming.

With the re-emergence of the Nemesis Crown in the forests of the Empire, I have been persuaded to join in the Warhammer Fantasy Battle campaign over the summer.

The first problem was, of course, which army to go for. This was tricky.

My first thought was to go for Night Goblins. Completely unreliable troops, and lots of random-but-potentially-lethal special options (squigs!). They would have made an interesting change from the Dark Angels, however one thing stopped me. Night Goblins are green. And black. And I have painted a lot of green and black troops.

Okay...

I've always liked the look of the undead armies, and very nearly ended up collecting an undead horde when I first got into gaming. Nowadays, there are two routes, Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings. The latter is an Egyptian feel to things, and concentrates mostly on skeletons and variations thereof. Vampire Counts allows other undead, but with both armies you need lots of troops...which fall apart (literally) once your commanders are killed.

To cut a long story short* I've gone for Empire troops. Not the most imaginative choice, perhaps, but more scope for a different colour scheme to other things I have, and there are some tactical challenges to using them.

Over the last couple of weeks I've picked up a couple of cheap sets from eBay, and with the freebies I looted at the weekend I've now got a reasonable starting force of 1,000 points.

All the troops I have are assembled and undercoated and I'll make a start on them this week.








* Too late!

No comments:

Post a Comment