Friday, May 04, 2007

From the Front Line - Dark Angels,Third Company

Following a conversation with Jasper a few weeks ago, I realised that I have a lot of marines. Many marines, if you speak Troll.

So I was thinking...a company of marines would be interesting...

For those unfamiliar with the space marines, each Chapter (e.g. Dark Angels) are organised into 10 Companies. Each Company comprises of 100 marines, in 10 squads. Yes, similar to the Romans.

Of these, the First company are the veterans, who wear the heavy Terminator armour (known as Deathwing for Dark Angels). T
The Dark Angels second company is the Ravenwing, different to other Chapters. These are the one riding bikes/Land Speeders and provide a scouting role.

The Dark Angels 3rd Company is Battle company, that is it comprises a mix of different troops for tactical flexibility. Six tactical squads, two Devastator and two Assault.

So far, I'm an assault squad and two Tactical squads short, but I do have a lot to paint at the moment! With the assault squad finally finished, the first Devastator squad is underway. At some point I also have the Ravenwing squadron to paint.

Finally, my Rhino/Razorback conversions are nearly completed. The Rhino personnel carrier is a chassis used in almost all space marine vehicles. The Razorback adds a small turret to the top, and the Whirlwind a larger MLRS-style rocket pod. Instead of buying a chassis for each tank, I picked up four second-hand rhinos and removed the top doors. This panel is a pair of doors in the Rhino, but is replaced by a turret mount for the other vehicles.

Instead of gluing the turret panel in place, I've left it loose. One way up, and it's a turret mount, turn it over and it's an access hatch. The turret itself can then be inserted, do far I have the option of Lascannon, heavy bolters or Whirlwind multi-launcher for two of them. I'll include some photos soon of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment