Sunday, November 19, 2006

From the Front line - Hills and Rocks and paint, oh my!

Okay...

Next step on the hills was to highlight them. I used a light grey emulsion and dry brushed the rock faces. Since I wanted them to be fairly grey, it was more of a wet brush...anyway. Onve that had dried, a much lighter drybrush of Skull White to just pick off the top detail.

Drybrushed hill

Next, I added some rocks around the foot of the hill. This should have been done before I painted, but whatever. I have never been wise. Watered down PVA glue, then a sprinkle of larger stones (Ikea decorative stones) and then a heavy coating of large sand.

And a Tallarn Desert Raider to show the scale.

Drybrushed hill

I've also done the rocks in exactly the same way...

Base coat of textured paint and grey highlights:

Rock!

White highlight and sand around base:

Rock!

Finally, the rest of the rocks. More like monoliths, or rock columns. One ended up slightly wonky. Perhaps it's falling over. They look a little too man-made I think, as the cutting away looks too much like brick work. Still, not bad for a first attempt.

Rock!

Next is to paint and highlight the 'ground' then flock the grass areas (flat bits!). I'm most of the way through doing that, so more photos tomorrow once everything is dry.

So, now you know how a nerd spends his weekend...hello? Say, where did everyone go?

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, the rocks look like ruins. But still cool.

    And you're seriously addicted to this now, huh. ;)

    Hmm, I have one photo of a model my brother painted. If you wanna see it, I'll throw it on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm still here. still fascinated. so it's you who did the cutting of the rocks too? wow. I thought you bought it like that and just had to paint it.

    Maybe i could manage to make some room in my kitchen for stuff like that too... *wonders*

    But my reasons for making this kind of thing would more be like building settings of the things i write, so i can visualize them and see what works or not. see?

    *hello?*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess, any ideas are welcome, so a photo of your brother's stuff would be good.

    I think I've always been seriously addicted, I just spent too much time away and am making up for some lost time!

    Nadine, Yep, all my own work. The polystyrene came in flat sheets about 7cm thick, scrounged from packing material that was being thrown out at work. The card was from Ikea, where they sometimes have a freebie section of scrap stuff - always worth a look!

    The benefit I have when making terrain is that it doesn't have to look 'real', at least, not in the same way that model railway scenery does. If the colour is odd, or something, hey! it's not Earth so who cares!

    I had never thought of making scenery to help picture stuff for writing...I would have thought that it would not be detailed enough as the model only contains what you think of - since you have to make it! I sketch most stuff beforehand, or at least I do for the complicated stuff. The temple work was drawn out to scale first as I need to be careful how it fits together and foam board is expensive. With the hills, I researched how to make them in different ways, looked at a very good article on the subject, then just dove in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoops, I meant a model as in a figure, not landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jess, I thought that was what you meant, but somehow it didn't read that way.

    ReplyDelete