Monday, January 14, 2013

Being Geeky

After a little deliberation, I decided to replace my PC's boot drive with an SSD.  I'd heard good things about these - the premise being the read/write speed is much higher, allowing faster access to the OS, programs and (more importantly) games.

I ended up spending most of lat Saturday on the swap - 30 minutes on the HDD/SDD swap and the rest of the day reinstalling Windows 7 and all my software.  The only problem was self-inflicted - I forgot a password for the Final Fantasy XI game (sorted later!).

Benefits of the new SSD...boot time is much faster -  about 3 seconds between logging into Windows and being able to run programs...programs open far faster...games are running smoother. And that is just by having the OS and games installed on the SSD. I haven't changed any other hardware. 

Now I'm just waiting for the new GPU, CPU and RAM...that'll be next weekend's project (well, I ahve to do something whilst it's cold outside, right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment