Monday, January 14, 2013

Review of 2012

I know, I know, it's  bit late to do this, but better late than never, right?

2012 started with the anniversary of losing Dad suddenly. I often wonder what he would have made of my motorcycle adventures, with some of the stories he'd told us of his own trips - and I've yet to try this...



Dad crossing a ford, probably Exmoor, pre-1977.
 
The biggest thing in 2012 for me was the move to France. A new job, new home, (and a new Beaky!) and by far the biggest change I'd made in a while.

The move down to Toulouse could not have gone better, with a load of people helping to make the transition as easy as possible - friends and colleagues (old and new!) at both ends, the mobility team at Airbus, the relocation contact at CSE Mobilitie, Langdons Removals.


Beaky in the removal van.

One of the selling points of the move was the opportunity to explore the south west of France.  I've been remiss in updating the blog much telling those adventures, but a few highlights were:

  • Easter weekend in Nimes and Arles exploring the Roman sites
  • Bordeau, and the dunes.
  • Summer holiday spending three weeks seeing the UK, Belgium, Holland and Switzerland. 
  • Various trips around the Ariege region - beautiful scenery.
  • Castles galore.
  • fun in the snow
I covered something like 14,000 miles, most of them trouble-free (we don't talk about the return trip from Geneva and the Evil Petrol Station of Doom). One puncture (possibly a result of riding down through an area of roadworks near my home as it looked muddy...). Two sets of tyres and no idea how many tanks of fuel.

In all those miles, I had one close call with a car side swiping me that left the car more damaged than Beaky...and I stayed upright.

 Leaving the best news to last, I became an uncle for the first time.  Artan was born six weeks premature just after I moved to France.


My nephew and his Very Proud Dad.


Since then he's grown...and grown...and is now doing all the things a seven month old baby should be doing.  His parents (my brother and his wife) are about to move into their first house, so even bigger changes for them in 2012!

So, onwards with 2013, and may the Adventures continue!




No comments:

Post a Comment